Saturday 13 November 2010

Sometimes it's the small things...

Today I walked into my local newsagents and found a copy of Country Living tucked away at the back of a shelf, hidden behind all the Dutch home magazines. It was a small thing, but it really cheered me up.

 
Somehow this other magazine managed to jump into my basket too, and so I spent a lovely quiet hour or so at home with a coffee, reading and wishing just a tiny bit that I was able to go to the Country Living Christmas Fayre as I would usually be doing about now.

If I'm really honest, I'm struggling at the moment. The initial excitement and euphoria of moving to another country have faded, the unpacking has long been finished and most of the first phase of redecoration which has kept me busy for so long has now been done. Reality has hit like a bulldozer and I'm feeling really homesick and lonely. I've really struggled with finding a new rhythm since the move and as you may have noticed, not much crafting has been done. On top of all this, I'm still struggling with the 'mystery illness' which began around this time last year, and no one seems to be able to tell me what the problem is, which means I have now been taking morphine for the pain since last November and am begininning to wonder if this is me now, forever.

Bleurgh!! There, that's how it really is in one big, rather-feeling-sorry-for-myself splurge. Phew. Sorry.

If you're still reading, well done. I'm sorry for being so glum. I don't want you to think it's all doom and gloom. It's not. I have so much to be thankful for and I am. It's just that sometimes it's the small things that are needed to make the day seem a little brighter..

4 comments:

  1. Country living is in my shop also always on the top shell behind lots of dutch magazines .
    But I know SHE is there and I look forward each month to go there and find HER .
    I cannot imagen how it is to live in another country . Are you a little bit more at home now or does it take much longer ?
    Did you make friends ? because that can make the difference . Christmastime is inspiring but you have to meet Sinterklaas first .
    Wishing you well !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I'm sorry you are feeling low, that's poo. Can I share something small that has been bringing me happiness this week? I knitted myself a Baktus from the Noro I won in your give away ages ago and have been wearing it this week. Loads of people have commented on it, and on the gorgeous felt flower brooch you sent which lives on my winter coat. Without knowing it you have brightened my gloomy week, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well a Country Living magazine would cheer anybody up!
    I am sorry to read you are feeling so low and I hope you are feeling better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to read you are feeling a bit sad!
    I hope you are going to feel better soon!
    A lovely magazine is always a big help!
    A big hug, Maryvonne

    ReplyDelete